This set of UDCs and scripts is designed to make it easier for System
Managers to manage user volumesets. In many cases the SM wants to
minimize disk space residing on the system volumeset, and, instead,
force user files to live on a particular user volumeset.
These UDCs do not prevent an Account Manager from creating groups on the
system volume set; however, they provide a default environment where it
is easiest to create and purge groups and accounts on the volume sets
desired by the System Manager. You need to be on MPE/iX 6.0 or later.
The NEWGROUP, NEWACCT, PURGEGROUP and PURGEACCT UDCs are replacements
for their respective MPE commands. These four main UDCs combined with
NEWUSER, PURGESUER, ALTUSER, ALTACCT, and ALTGROUP plus a few auxillary
UDCs are contained in the UDCVOL tar file available below. The UDCVOL
UDC file needs to be cataloged at the appropriate level (user, account
The NEWGROUP and NEWACCT UDCs make use of a volume set configuration
file, named ACCTUVOL.PUB.SYS by default. This simple file typically maps
account names to volume set names (wildcarding is fully supported). For
example, if ACCTUVOL contained an entry such as:
- download the UDCVOL tar file, which includes: NEWACCT, NEWGROUP,
NEWUSER, PURGEACCT, PURGEGROUP, PURGEUSER, ALTACCT, ALTGROUP, and
ALTUSER UDCs; plus the BLDUVOL, CHKGRP and SHOWVOL scripts. These UDCs
and scripts can also be downloaded individually
- view the README file.
and, an account manager created a new group as:
the group, TEMP.PRODPAY, would be created on the system
FILES=0 and on the PAYMENT_VOLSET
FILES=9000. The TEMP.PRODPAY group
would automatically be homed to the PAYMENT_VOLSET.
The PURGEGROUP and PURGEACCT UDCs delete the target group
or account on both the system volume set and on user
volume sets. In particular, if an account is being deleted,
it can also be purged from on volume sets homed to by
all groups in that account.
The user may interact with these UDCs by adding volume set
entries to the volume set config file (ACCTUVOL) on-the-fly,
viewing all accounts that are candidates for deletion,
confirming wildcarded group purges, etc.
Many more examples can be found in the README file.
The tar archive file below contains the following files:
- the UDC file that contains the NEWACCT, NEWGROUP, PURGEGROUP,
PURGEACCT UDCs and a few supporting UDCs.
- a script that creates the ACCTUVOL volumeset configuration file.
- a script that shows the contents of your volume set configuration
file ("acctuvol") and lists the volume sets for all groups on your
- a script that reports all volume sets and sectors consumed on
your system. Written by Paul Christidis.
If you have any questions or enhancement suggestions please contact
- view the readme file.
- download the udcvol.tar
file to your workstation and transfer it in binary mode to your e3000.
- un-pack the tar file from the shell as:
tar -xvf udcvol.tar
- move the UDCVOL, BLDUVOL and CHKGRP files to the desired MPE groups
- catalog the UDCVOL file at the system, account or user level, e.g.:
:setcatalog udcvol; account; append
- execute the CHKGRP script for your logon account (default) or for
all groups on the system, e.g.,
Note: at this time you probably do not have the "acctuvol" file set up.
- create the "acctuvol" volume set configuration file, either by
hand or via the BLDUVOL script. The
file shows a sample acctuvol file.
- you are now ready to use the volume management UDCs.