Last Updated: 03/14/2008
Summary of online information resources - includes the hp3000-L discussion list, FAQs, informative Web sites, etc.
MPE manuals - PDF and HTML versions of many of the MPE manuals. However, the following manuals & related
items exist separate from the larger collection:
Click "stream" to begin playing the webcast content as a stream. Click
"download" to download the webcast content as a *.zip archive.
Unpack the archive to your local hard disk, then open the local.htm file in your web browser.
- 2003-05-22 Transition Series - Keeping Costs Under Control (stream, download)
- 2003-01-21 Transition Series - What Executives Need to Know (stream, download)
- 2002-10-30 Transition Series - Printing and Reporting Tools (stream, download)
- 2002-09-05 Introducing MPE/iX 7.5 (stream, download)
- 2002-08-27 Transition Series - Putting It All Together (stream, download)
- 2002-07-23 Transition Series - Database Issues (stream, download)
- 2002-06-25 Transition Series - User Interface Issues (stream, download)
- 2002-05-21 Transition Series - Language Issues (stream, download)
- 2002-04-23 Transition Series - Planning the Project (stream, download)
- 2002-01-22 Transition Series - First Steps (stream, download)
- this paper explores methods to increase FTP/iX security based on
several recent FTP/iX enhancements. These enhancements reflect one of
HP's responses to the growing number of security related audits facing
IT professionals tasked with implementing modern, robust security. A
Word (.doc) version is also available.
Options for Managing a DTC Remotely - a White Paper that describes the issues and potential solutions for managing DTCs in wide area networks.
UPS Utility Manual
- UPSUTIL for MPE/iX, description of the UPS Monitor Utility, covering
aspects of configuring a CI script to be executed after a power failure.
MS Word .doc file.
LDEV-1 Disk Space Report - the implementation of support disk space beyond the first 4GB on LDEV 1. MS Word .doc file.
Image-threads Investigation Report - Tien-You's report on investigating the feasibility of making TurboIMAGE thread aware, and supporting the fork() call when a database is open.
Turboimage Database Tools
- This white paper compares and contrasts three excellent database
utilities for the HP e3000. The author, Sally Blackwell, presents this
information to help customers migrate from HP's DBChangePlus utility.
The Web and the HPe3000:
Enhancing the HP e3000 User Interface - This comprehensive white paper explores various types of enhanced user interfaces, particularly GUIs, for the HP3000.
Managing Your e3000 System
- George Stachnik's excellent series of articles published in Interact
magazine, which show the novice 3000 administrator how to successfully
manage their HP3000.
Optimizing Backup with TurboSTORE
- written by Paul Raj D. and Bijo S. Kappen, this white paper describes
software options for obtaining optimum backup performance using
High Availability - HA white paper written by Walter McCullough, CSY.
5.5 Software Limits Documentation
- a comprehensive treatment of operating system, networking, Image and
ALLBASE/SQL limits on MPE 5.0 and 5.5, authored by Scott McClellan.
Pitfalls in Multi-Language Programming" paper authored
by James Overmann, Sue Meloy, Walter Murray, Jim Scaccia
and Don Jenkins, in several formats:
Technical papers from the Adager Web site
- authors include: Lars Apple, Wirt Atmar, Ken Paul, Patrick Mullen,
Alfredo Rego, Fred White, Rene Woc, Eugene Volokh and others.
HP Technology Forum 2007
- e3000 Business Update & Technology Talk , presented by Jennie Hou, Jeff Bandle,
and Craig Fairchild. This is an abbreviated slide set of Jennie's part of the
session as well as Technical information on "Securing FTP/iX on your HP e3000",
"SCSI Pass Through", Samba/iX 3.0.22, and new CI Functions.
- e3000 Business Update,
presented by Jennie Hou. This is an abbreviated slide set of Jennie's
session Sat afternoon. Changes from last year, current status of the
e3000 lab and support efforts, current migrations status, and what to
expect next year are reviewed.
- CI Programming for Stability,
presented by Jeff Vance. This is a revised version of the CI
Programming talk presented by Mike Paivinen in 2004. It has been
updated slightly for GHRUG and is only available as a Powerpoint
download. There are some new examples, including the new CI info
functions, and a few typo corrections. The speaker notes are an an
important part of this slideset. To save the PowerPoint file (.ppt)
right click/save-as here.
- CI Programming for Stability, written by Jeff Vance and
presented by Mike Paivinen. This is a revised version of the CI
Programming talk presented by Jeff several times in the past; however
there are new slides dealing with coding for ease of maintenance and
stability. There are some new examples too. The speaker notes are an an
important part of this slideset. An IE 6.0 and later web version is here and generic browser version is here. Note: the generic version looses the speaker notes. To save the full PowerPoint file (.ppt) right click/save-as here.
- Is Your e3000 Environment Secure? - by Mark Bixby. Everything you need to know to help make your MPE system secure from hackers. Also available in PowerPoint format. (This presentation has undergone minor updates since it was given at Solutions Symposium 2003)
Solutions Symposium 2003
- MPE/iX 7.5 Update
- by Jeff Vance. This is a brief presentation of some of the new
features and benefits of MPE/iX release 7.5. The speaker notes are
included. To save the PowerPoint file (.ppt) right click/save-as here.
- Is Your e3000 Environment Secure? - by Mark Bixby. Everything you need to know to help make your MPE system secure from hackers. Also available in PowerPoint format.
- MPE/iX Network Security
- by Jeff Bandle. A general discussion of security followed by details
to help ensure your MPE systems connected to a network are secure. To
save the PowerPoint file (.ppt) right click/save-as here.
- Performance of Migrated HP e3000 Applications
- by Kevin Cooper. This presentation helps answer the question: "what
size system(s) will you need to run your migrated 3000 application on a
new platform?". To save the PowerPoint file (.ppt) right click/save-as here.
- MPE/iX 7.5 and PA-8700 Performance Update
- by Kevin Cooper. This presentation covers the PA-8700 systems,
performance enhancements to 7.5, upgrade paths, performance patches, and
memory rules-of-thumb. To save the PowerPoint file (.ppt) right
- MPE/iX Network Performance
- by Jeff Bandle. A general discussion on network performance issues
followed by details on MPE networking performance problem areas and
recommendations for improving performance. To save the PowerPoint file
(.ppt) right click/save-as here.
- Networking Trouble Shooting Tools
- by Eric Barkley. This is a comprehensive presentation of many tools
and procedures to troubleshoot MPE/iX networking problems. Eric has also
provided several tools that are mentioned in the talk, including two programs and three script files.
- MPE/iX System Problem Analysis
- by Bill Cadier. Learn all about MPE internals and ways to get a hint
of what may be wrong on your system, before calling for support. To
save the MS Word file (.doc) right click/save-as here.
- Using Sendmail on MPE
- by Mark Bixby. This revised version of the Sendmail 7.5 Support
Training Chalktalk includes information about the recent Sendmail
security patches. Also available in PowerPoint format.
- CI Programming for 7.5
- by Jeff Vance. This is a revised version of the CI Programming talk
presented by Jeff several times in the recent past. There are some new
examples. The speaker notes are an an important part of this slideset.
To save the PowerPoint file (.ppt) right click/save-as here.
Solutions Symposium 2002
- MPE CI Programming for 7.0
- by Jeff Vance. The appendix is lengthy and the speaker notes at the
bottom of each page are recommended reading. This slideset covers much
of the same material as presented in the 2001 Solutions Symposium.
However, there is new material, new examples and perhaps the order of
the slides is more intuitive from a programming perspective.
- Database Update - by Vikram Kumar B T. This is the Image/SQL database update presented at HP World.
Development on MPE - by Mark Bixby. A brief history of open source on the
3000 plus step by step instructions on how to build open source applications.
- Perl Programming on MPE/iX - by Mark Bixby. This is a slightly revised version of the Perl
talk given at the 2001 Solutions Symposium.
- SIGWEB Internet & Interoperability
Update - by Mark Bixby. CSY's I&I accomplishments since the previous
HPWorld and plans for the future.
Solutions Symposium 2001
- Enhydra and IMAGE/SQL via JDBC
- by Jon Diercks. Using the Lutris Enhydra Application Server to
access data in IMAGE/SQL databases on MPE/iX systems via JDBC.
- Perl Programming (HTML or PPT) - by Mark Bixby. Getting started with Perl, the Swiss Army Chainsaw of scripting languages.
- Programming and POSIX - by Mark Bixby. Compiling, linking, the POSIX API, and shell programming.
- HP WebWise Secure Web Server Porting Case Study - by Mark Bixby. Everything that was done to port the components of this product from Unix to MPE.
- CI Programming - by Jeff Vance. Please see the presentation for the 2003 Solutions Symposium above.
Solutions Symposium 2000
Unix-to-MPE Porting Tips
HPWorld'99 6.0 CI Enhancements presentation
- paper presented by Jeff Vance at HPWorld'99. Please notice the notes
at the bottom of each slide. Includes corrections for 4 typos found in
the Proceedings .
- presentation by Terry Simpkins at CA World, April 2000. Terry makes
compelling arguments on why MANMAN is still a smart and economical
choice for manufacturing software.
Migrating LaserRX Graphs to PerfView
- written by Anil Kumar. B, this document describes the detailed
procedure for configuring the various available metrics in Perfview to
generate the graphs similar to the predefined graphs available in
LaserRx, using the data collected from HP 3000 system.
COBOL CGI Example
- Lars Appel's concise tutorial on how to create a simple CGI program
using COBOL 85, some routines from the POSIX C library, and the READX
and PRINT MPE intrinsics.
- C, COBOL (using ACCEPT and DISPLAY), and Pascal programs using a
TurboIMAGE database, Perl and shell scripts using a flat file, plus many
other CGI programs and scripts. The README file contains more information plus installation instructions.
Reference Manual - postscript and PCL version of
the Reference Manual.
B-TREE reference and definitions - B-tree notes
from Stan Sieler.
World '97 Programming Web Applications for the HP3000
tutorial - slides and many
Tutorial: IMAGE/SQL - issues and answers concerning
Using Access Tools in a Client/Server Environment
- computer based training course teaching how to use
IMAGE/SQL with PC client tools to access TurboIMAGE
Processor Support for Large Memory Systems - short paper, written by Dave Snow, discussing PA RISCprocessors that support large (>3.75GB) memory systems.
Old HP e3000 faqs
Instant Information FAQ - FAQ on Instant Information, the LaserROM replacement for HP.
Complete HP e3000 FAQ - Chris Bartram's up-to-date FAQ on everything MPE.